June 2021: Congrats to DP who was awarded a SSHRC Insight Grant with Connor Kerns (P.I. on the grant). In other news, the MI lab is excited to welcome incoming graduate students Omran Safi, Victoria Wardell and Leena Alkhammash this September!
May 2021: Congratulations to the class of 2021! Congratulations to Kate Checknita for receiving her undergraduate NSERC award, to Victoria Wardell for receiving her MA NSERC award, and to Chantelle Cocquyt for her PhD NSERC award. Well done!
February 2021: Congratulations to Victoria Wardell who received the Wesbrook Scholar and HSBC Emerging Leader Scholarship (two awards!). Well deserved Victoria!
November 2020: Congratulations to Dr. Palombo who has been accepted as a new member of the Memory Disorders Research Society (MDRS)!
August 2020: D.P. is awarded an Insight Development Grant from SSHRC. She will collaborate on this work with Drs. Jason Rights, Christopher Madan, and Brendan Gaesser.
July 2020: D.P. joins the Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience as a Consulting Editor.
June 17th, 2020: Our graduating lab members had their virtual graduation ceremony, congrats to the class of 2020! Click here to read about what they are doing.
May & June 2020: The lab presents research at CNS and APS! Victoria Wardell is awarded an NSERC undergraduate award! Aria Petrucci is awarded a MITACS!
April 2020: Dr. Palombo joins the editorial board (as a consulting editor) at Behavior Research Methods.
February 2020: Dr. Palombo receives a SSHRC Explore Grant – Arts Graduate Research Assistant Support grant to hire a summer RA.
January 2020: Congrats to Hayley Carolan who recently won the J Fred Muir Memorial Scholarship in Science *and* the Robert and Kazuko Barker Award!
December 2019: Congrats to Leor Elizur who was promoted to lab manager!
December 2019: Congrats to Leor Elizur and Hayley Carolan who both received travel grants from UBC Psychology to submit (and hopefully present) their work at NOWCAM in 2020!
July 2019: Dr. Palombo receives a SSHRC Grant in collaboration with PI Connor Kerns! D.P. is a Co-I.
June 2019: Dr. Palombo receives a CFI Grant! This is D.P.’s second PI grant!
April 2019: Dr. Palombo receives a Discovery Grant from NSERC with an Early Career Discovery Launch Supplement! This is D.P.’s first PI grant!
April 2019: Congrats to Leor Elizur, Hayley Carolan and Jacob Lamour on their summer undergraduate awards! Leor and Hayley will work full time in the MI lab this summer and Jacob will split his time this summer between the MI lab and Dr. Connor Kerns’ lab. Here is Leor presenting her work at PURC!
January 2019: Dr. Palombo is honoured as an APS Rising Star
October 2018: Dr. Palombo receives a UBC’s Hampton Emerging Scholar Grant.
July 2018: We have a new paper in the July issue of TICS!
Select coverage for our study on future thinking
- How the hippocampus influences future thinking- Neuroscience News
Select coverage for our study on “trait mnemonics” and resting state connectivity (first author Signy Sheldon):
Select coverage for our study on trauma and the brain:
- Brain scans of passengers on near-disastrous Air Transat flight…–Globe and Mail
- Trauma changes brain of Air Transat passengers years after…–The Toronto Star
- Passenger on near-disastrous Air Transat flight ‘sent into tailspin’…–CBC News
- How traumatized Air Transat passengers are helping brain research –CTV News
- Near-Death Experiences Change the Brain –Discovery News
- Nightmare flights change the brains of passengers for ever –The Times
- What your brain looks like when you think you’re about to DIE –DailyMail
- Study scans brains of passengers who were aboard…–Techie News
- CTV News live interview with Dr. Brian Levine
- Global News live interview with with Dr. Daniela Palombo
- CTV News live interview with with Dr. Daniela Palombo
Select coverage for our study on severely deficient autobiographical memory:
- The Strange Case of the Woman Who Can’t Remember Her Past –Wired
- Susie McKinnon can’t remember events in her life, just facts –The Toronto Star
- Some perfectly healthy people can’t remember their own lives –Research Digest
- Remember The Time? Mysterious Memory Disorder Causes People To Forget Personal Experiences, But Nothing Else –Medical Daily
- Living with SDAM means living without memories –Global News
- What It’s Like to Remember Nothing From Your Past –New York Magazine
- Susie McKinnon Can’t Form Memories About Events In Her Life –Huffington Post
- Living with SDAM: woman has no episodic memory, can’t relive events of past –CTV News
Select coverage for our study on PTSD and autobiographical memory (first co-authors Margaret McKinnon & Daniela Palombo):
- Baycrest Health Sciences Press Release
- PTSD clues gleaned from passengers on terrifying flight –CBC
- Air Transat near-disaster aids understanding of PTSD –The Globe and Mail
- PTSD and memory: Canadian docs study survivors on plane near-disaster –Global News
- Study of passengers from Air Transat near-disaster aids understanding of PTSD –The Toronto Star
- Civilians With PTSD: How Military and Jet-Ordeal Research Might Help –NBC
- Passengers who survived terrifying flight help psychologists uncover new clues about…–ScienceDaily
- Air Transat passenger study sheds light on PTSD –Macleans
- A Memorable Flight –Slate
- PTBS nach Flugzeugabsturz: Traumatisierte erinnern sich anders –Spiegel (German)
- Corus Radio in Calgary -Live interview with Dr. Daniela Palombo about the Air Transat incident
- Corus Radio in Edmonton -Live interview with Dr. Daniela Palombo about the Air Transat incident
Coverage for our study on genetics, perception and memory (first author Rebecca Todd):
- Glass always half-empty? Your genes may be to blame –CBC
- Study links a gene variation to a darker view of life –Washington Post
- Always gloomy and miserable? It may be in your genes –The Globe and Mail
Coverage related to our study on “trait mnemonics” (first author Daniela Palombo):
- Remember your first kiss? –Baycrest Smart Aging